LBD Beauty Masterclass - Part 1
Categories: Fashion Fix
LBD Beauty Masterclass - Part 1
Feel empowered this party season with our make-up series from celebrity & fashion make-up artist, tanner and beauty writer Carly Hobbs. The author of Supermodel Tips: Runway Secrets from the World’s Top Models, came into the studios recently to share her knowledge with us, and you guys, about how to create the perfect make-up looks to compliment your party dresses.
Beauty and the LBDThroughout the series, Carly talks us through getting our pretty on in just a few simple stages, with the basics every make up look should start with. She then goes on to teach us how to turn your basic foundations into a statement make-up look to compliment whatever dress you're wearing, at whatever occasion you’re attending. In part one, she starts with the simple, yet effective smokey eye; a statement look every woman should have in her arsenal.
Getting StartedNow that you’ve watched the video above, let Carly talk you through the stages to make you party ready this season.
Step one: Prep & Prime
Time: 2 minutesGood skincare is essential in creating a beautiful look. What lies beneath hydrates and plumps the skin so that it stays looking fresher for longer. You should be cleansing and hydrating twice daily anyway, but these are key pre-make-up steps.
- Swipe Kiko Hydra Pro Glow(£20.90) all over the face, so the skin feels smooth and soft.
- Pitter patter Erborian Seve De Bamboo Eye Cream(£29) under the lower lashes – this delicate skin needs an extra layer of hydration.
- Mist over your entire face with Mac Prep + Prime Fix Plus Spray (£17.50) to give your make-up something to hold on to.
Step two: Ace Your Base
Time: 5 minutesLess is more when it comes to bases, lots of light layers buffed in well, will give you a flawless finish and will never look cakey. Here we use foundation, you can swap this in for a BB Cream if you prefer something lighter.
- Using a flat foundation brush, work Soap & Glory Bright Here, Bright Now Illuminator(£12) from the nose outwards, buff in with a fluffier brush.
- Add Burberry Cashmere Flawless Soft Matte Foundation(£35) with the same brush, using a little product then making it go further, and softer, with your fluffy brush.
- Using fingers or a small stiff brush, lightly buff EX1 Delete Concealer(£9) only where you need it.
Step three: Highlight & Define
Time: 3 minutesCreating gentle, subtle shadows in the hollows of the cheeks and jawline really sculpts the face. Add well placed highlights and blushes to show off the best bits of your face, in the most natural way possible.
- Swirl an angled powder brush in the Estée Lauder Victoria Beckham Bronzer in Java Sun(£40) then dust onto the hollows of your cheeks using the middle of your ear as a guide. Blend out slightly with a bigger, clean brush.
- Going back with the angled brush add Laura Gellar New York Baked Gelato Swirl Illuminator in Gilded Honey(£21) to the tops of cheekbones and temples in a C-Shape. Add a little highlighter to the Cupid’s Bow and beneath the brow arches also.
- Do a super smile to make the apples of your cheeks stand out, then work a little Marc Jacobs Air Blush in Night Fever & Hot Stuff(£28) over them. Relax and blend out softly.
Statement look: Simple Smokey Eye
Time: 10 minutePerfect for: Upping the Sophistication at a family do or a classy Christmas night out.
- Lightly buff EX1 Delete Concealer(£9) all over the lid to create a neutral and smudge-proof base.
- Work the super flattering, bronzy brown Mac Pro Longwear Paint Pot in Constructivist(£16) over the soft part of the lid using a paintbrush, then blend out the colour towards the brow bone using a clean, fluffy eyeshadow brush. Use the colour and smudge technique under the lower lashes too, joining up the dark shading.
- Add a hint of Estée Lauder Victoria Beckham Eye Kajal in Black Saffron(£22) to the lower waterline only, blinking a few times to transfer the colour to the upper waterline, before adding lashings of Studio 10 6-in-1 Perfect Lash Mascara (£24).