Fat-bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round, according to Queen, yet for far too long, the fashion industry sadly hasn't shared this sentiment. But that all seems to be changing thanks to a certain Kim Kardashian. Love her or hate her, the queen of American reality TV and her ever-expanding derrière is sparking a trend Stateside that should give us atypical British pear-shapes something to smile about – big bottoms are coming back in vogue!
In the USA, surgery to increase the size of your behind (yes, really) is becoming increasingly popular due to people wanting to have bottoms like Kim, Beyonce and Jennifer Lopez. Although Kim has always denied surgery (even having her behind X-rayed on Keeping up with the Kardashians to prove she hadn't had silicone implants), procedures that remove fat from the thighs or stomach and inject it back into the bottom, are on the up – even in the UK. A Harley Street clinic in London recently reported that they've witnessed a sizable increase in fat transfers to women's buttocks, carrying out three times as many bootylicious injections in 2013 than 2012.
‘Butt-padding’ is another less extreme solution that is becoming popular, with silicone padded panties and bodysuits as well as self-adhesive 'booty pads' allowing smaller-bottomed girls to get in on the trend. A survey in 2013 also found that women desired big booty ambassadors Kelly Brook and Kim Kardashian’s bodies more than others, so it turns out Sir Mix-A-Lot was right, and we really do like big butts.
So ladies, it’s time to embrace your behind a la gravity-defying Kim Kardashian and the Bootylicious brigade, including Beyonce, Sofia Vergara, Nicki Minaj and Kelly Brook. We asked TV and celebrity fashion stylist Lisa Talbot, who specialises in dressing for your body shape, to reveal her top tips on fashionably making the most of your tush.
- 'If you aren’t afraid to accentuate your voluptuous derrière, then wear figure-hugging bodycon pieces like Kim Kardashian because they will add structure and highlight your peachy asset!' says Lisa. 'Opt for something in a dense and stretchy material because it will work beautifully over your curves.'
- 'If you're not brave enough to do all-out bodycon, opt for an A-line or skater style skirt to accentuate and flatter bootylicious bottoms.'
- 'The most flattering dress styles for big-bottomed girls are empire line dresses. Dresses cinched at the waist also look fabulous on a big booty as they break up the lower and upper body and create a gorgeous hourglass silhouette.'
- 'Showcase a curvaceous derrière by turning the usual body shape advice on its head. Wear a bright colour on your lower half and a darker colour on your top half to draw attention to your best asset. But if you're not ready to fully embrace your curvaceous derrière, then switch this rule round for the illusion of an instantly smaller bottom.'
- 'Show off your silhouette by wearing shape-control underwear to nip in your waist and smooth out any lumps and bumps.'
Dress your derrière well with Team LBD's Bootylicious collection: