Your graduation ceremony is a landmark event you’ll remember for the rest of your life, so don’t get caught out when it comes to that all important graduation dress. Let’s face it, a cap and gown hardly make for the most fashionable of looks, but with a carefully chosen dress to accompany the obligatory graduation ceremony garb you’ll be left feeling both stylish and smart! Read on to discover our top 10 graduation styling tips…
1) When it comes to footwear, opt for a block heel, wedge, or slight platform for both steadiness and comfort.
2) A clutch bag looks chic and saves you the hastle of constantly catching your handbag strap in your gown fabric.
3) Opt for a stylish but conservative dress. You might be tempted to go all out OTT, but remember you’ll want to look like the mature professional you’re about to become. Browse our graduation dresses here.
4) Short sleeve and sleeveless dresses are a wise option with most Graduation ceremonies taking place during summer.
5) If you want to mix things up, consider a colour pop pair of heels. After all, these will be the most visible part of your outfit when wearing your gown closed. Coral and red are wise options, whilst it’s advisable to avoid neon shades.
6) Make sure you dress to flatter your figure. You may like the style of a dress your friend’s been eyeing up, but make sure it suits your body shape too. This will determine your overall look so take care when choosing styles. (Psst! If you’re not sure what your body shape is take a look at our body shapes guide here).
7) Go for a natural, fresh beauty look. This is definitely not the time to try out new or bold looks. Stick to make-up that gives you a natural glow and radiance. Head over to our YoubTube channel for a great hair how to from our friends at Charles Worthington.
8) Don’t go overboard with jewellery. Choose either a statement necklace or pair of earrings, and keep the rest of your jewellery simple.
9) Feel free to use a tanning moisturiser for a healthy, natural glow. Steer clear of heavy fake tan, however, as this could come across as overpowering.
10) Although it’s summer, always be prepared by packing a good quality umbrella. Don’t let hours spent on your hair and make-up go to waste!
Shop short graduation dresses here.